Recycling: Did You Know?
Did you know that just 18% of plastic packaging is recycled in Australia? With the majority of packaging ending up in either landfill or in our oceans.
Here are some other incredible facts about Recycling in Australia that really makes you consider what you could be doing better.
- 8 Million tonnes of plastics find their way into our water ways.
- An estimated 1 million marine life are killed by marine waste every year.
- Australia has one of the highest paper and cardboard recycling rates.
- The energy saved by recycling one plastic drink bottle can power a compute for 25 minutes.
- When a glass bottle reaches landfill, it can take around 4,000 to a million years before it disintegrates but can be recycled over and over again.
- Australians are using around 376,000 tonnes of plastic packaging a year.
The average Australian produces more waste than any individual from other countries in the world. What are you doing to help reduce your impact on our environment?
Here at Only One Earth, we have set up a Recycling Program to help the community in effectively managing waste, below are the items that we collect and recycle at our pop-up shop.
- Bread Tags
- Milk Bottle Lids
- Medical Blister Packs
- Empty Burts Bees Products
You’ll find us across from The Coffee Club, in the Quarter!